I am very excited to have received my very first award. It's totally unexpected since I've only just started this blog. The Reinvention of Jessica nominated me for the award and I can't thank her enough for it! Give you a follow if you don't already. I love her conversational blogging and how she gives readers a peek into her life. I personally really enjoy reading real people like that.
So I had never head of the Liebster Award until a couple of weeks ago, but it is simply a nomination based award meant for beginning bloggers and/or bloggers with a smaller following. If you receive it you are to:
So, lets get started.
Nominate 11 Blogs
- Stylin' Savanna
- Baby Steps in High Heels
- The Ashmore's
- The Thritysomething Blogger
- The Ancient to the Modern: A Semester in Rome
- Redeeming The Day
- Charming Imperfections
- Clean House With Kids
- Of Jess and Jen
11 Questions from The Reinvention of Jessica
- How long have you been blogging? - I've actually been blogging on and off for about 4 years. This blog has, obviously, been going on for just a few weeks.
- You have a plane ticket to anywhere in the world. Where do you go? - It is really hard to pick just one place. There are so many places I would love to experience in my lifetime. I really LOVE learning about ancient cultures and would love to experience these places "in the flesh". But if I had to choose just one place I would probably go with Scotland. I am a part of the Guthrie clan, one of the oldest in the country, and I would enjoy the opportunity to stand in some of the places my ancestors once stood. Plus, being able to horseback ride across some of the country would just be a dream come true.
- What's your guilty pleasure?: Reality TV. I can't get enough of it. The crazy people and the screaming and the drama... I love binging on episodes of Real Housewives of the OC, Dance Moms, Catfish, Teen Mom, etc. My husband HATES them, so I usually save them on the DVR for nights where he is out of town and the baby is in bed. Is there anything better than watching a social train wreck with a bowl of ice cream and a beer? I think NOT!
- What's your favorite blog post you've ever written?: Considering I've only written a handlful of them, I would have to say my DIY of the headboard in the master bedroom. I am absolutely in love with how it turned out.
- Who is your favorite fictional character?: Rosie the Riveter. Because girl power!
- Werewolves, vampires, or zombies?: Zombies. I would totally be a bad-ass zombie slaying chick. My weapon of choice would probably be an E-tool. Just because it's multi-functional.
- What is your favorite movie quote?: I'm not one to really memorize movie quotes. So instead, I'll share with you my favorite quote that I found in my favorite book, Gates of Fire. "There is more to fear in an army of deer lead by a lion than an army of lions lead by a deer." - Phillip of Macedonia
- If you could live in any fictional world (from any book, TV show, or movie), which one would you choose? Why?: The TV show Vikings! I totally would be a shield maiden. Their culture is so much like what I know from the Marines, I would fit right in.
- What's your favorite comfort food?: Mac & Cheese. It is something I could, seriously, eat all the freaking time. I eat it at every opportunity I have when we go out to eat. I dreamed (literally) about eating it while in boot camp. And when I graduated it was my first meal off Parris Island.
- Who would play you in a movie about your life?: Jennifer Lawrence. She's sharp and strong and proud of who she is. She would make a great me.
- How do you handle writer's block?: If I'm having a hard time thinking of what to write, I go out into nature. A hike always makes me feel better and allows me to have quite time to think and process stuff.
- I hate guinea pigs. I mean, I REALLY HATE them. When I was in pre-school we had one for a class pet. It bit me once. Ever since then I just can't stand their stupid squeaking faces. I totally understand why some cultures eat them, and I would totally try one in a stew or a sandwich or a taco.
- I graduated a semester early from high school and left for the Marine Corps at the age of 17. I graduated from boot camp a week before my 18th birthday.
- I am a belly dancer and burlesque performer (classic burlesque... not the one with pasties).
- I can't stand to be in bodies of water where I can't see the bottom or what is swimming around me. And I definitely am not a fan of being under the water.
- I (currently) have 8 tattoos.
- Peanutbutter and mayo sandwiches are delicious. Don't knock it 'til ya try it (seriously).
- I play the tuba.
- I've walked on fire. It was awesome.
- My husband and I crossed paths TWICE before we ever actually met each other. I was a musician in the Marine Corps and was stationed at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. This is where all the male recruits on the west side of the Mississippi attend boot camp. Garrack went there for his training and I played at his graduation. My unit also opened up for a Gretchen Wilson concert at 29 Palms. Garrack was at that concert because he was training on base at that time. CRAZINESS!!!!
- I can't stand grape flavored candies and pop. It reminds me of medicine.
- I make a mean chili and, one of these days, I would love to enter my recipe into a chili cook-off.
My Nominee Questions
- Why do you blog?
- If money and time were of no issue, what would you do?
- What is your favorite quote and why?
- If you would live in a different time, when would you live?
- Who is your superhero alter ego and what is their super power?
- What crazy animal do you wish you could have as a pet?
- What talent do you not posses but you really wish you did?
- What is a fear you have?
- Where is your "happy place"?
- What is one of your pet peeves?
- Your last meal is...?