Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Paging Dr. Mom: Milk & Honey

I'm really excited about this new series I'm going to share with you guys! I'm very big into natural remedies and medicines. I'm not opposed to modern medicine, I just prefer to use it as a last resort. So "Paging Dr. Mom" will show you all the tried and true things I use for my family when they aren't feeling their best.


I think Arlette is having some allergy issues as the weather beings to warm up here in Connecticut. The poor girl started coughing and sneezing last night. So at dinner yesterday I gave her a milk and honey drink to help sooth her throat.

Honey is, seriously, magical. It is antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and an anti-inflammatory for some respiratory issues (like a sore throat). Milk is a soporific. Science-y talk for something that induces drowsiness. So mixing the two makes for a fantastic night time remedy for a sore throat and cough.

Reminder: Children under 12 months of age should not have honey.

I filled up her cup with milk (we use whole) and warmed it in a small pot on medium-high heat. You can heat the milk in the microwave if you are in a rush, but I personally don't. Heating breastmilk in the microwave is a big no-no because of how it denatures the nutrients. And, though cows milk is already heated for pasteurization, I just feel like it's best to heat it on the stove-top. But that's just me.


To help with the overall flavor and make it taste more like a special treat, I added 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla. Since this was made up in a child's sippy cup, I would suggest using a full teaspoon if you are making it up for a mug.


Keep your eye on the milk! Don't walk away from it. Milk heats pretty quickly and if you heat it for too long you get a protein film on the top and cause a burnt taste. Yuck.

Once the milk was warm I added a heaping scoop of honey with my honey comb. It probably measured to about a teaspoon. If you are making it in a mug, I would use a 1/2 to full tablespoon.

If you can, always try to buy local honey. The benefit of buying local is that bee's are using the local pollen. This can help strengthen your immune system to allergies or colds that are local to your area. If you have ever moved from one state to another (or even just across state) you may notice that you get a cold or feel less than perky. Drinking tea with the local honey can help with those moving symptoms.


The warm milk will dissolve the honey. Give it a good stir and then serve.


Arlette loved it. The major bonus, she went right to sleep when bed time rolled around 2 hours later.

This drink is so soothing you can even enjoy it sans-nasty cough.

Good job Dr. Mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment